Friday, September 17, 2010

Dave Sim says "Get out of your own way"

This is an excerpt from an article by Dave Sim that pretty much sums up something I struggle with to this day: Overthinking my art. I know I'm not posting a sketch this time, but I think it will help any other artists out there who struggle with drawing slowly.

"Stop trying to impress some art school teacher with a stick up his butt whose opinions you never respected from the time you entered his class until you left it ten years ago. Draw like you. Get a rhythm going. Draw what you like to draw the way you like to draw it. I spent a year trying to be Barry Windsor-Smith when I started Cerebus. Then I started trying to be me. People always comment on the jump in qualify in my artwork on Cerebus from the first issue to (fill-in-the blank; everyone has a different opinion). I didn't know how to draw accurately then and I don't know how to draw accurately now. I just do it until I like the way it looks and then I leave it alone. It is never going to be 'right'; the arm's too long, the eyes are a smidgeon too high, the hand doesn't connect at the exact spot on the wrist that it's supposed to, the folds in the shirt violate every rule of hanging drapery invented since the 14th century. Sticking to a monthly schedule for thirteen years, I'm a lot happier with the way I draw than I ever have been before. It still sucks. It's wrong. But I like it; and I'm the one who has to look at it for eight to ten hours a day. This is supposed to be FUN, dammit. And that's the biggest difference between drawing comic books and being a plumber. If you want to spend years learning the exact and precise way to do something, I'm sure plumbing offers you all of that you can handle; AND it's lucrative.
Get out of your own way.
Somewhere inside of you, there's an artist who wants to have as much fun as he can producing a pile of pages that look the way he wants them to look; telling the stories he wants to tell. Stop trying to go down the giant water-slide five inches at a time so you can enjoy it more and make it last; it's a SLIDE for fuck's sake.
Ahem.
For those of you who understand the preceding, go nuts. Let me know what you come up with. For those of you who still don't get it . . .
Just keep erasing that arm and re-drawing it. It should look fine by the time you're forty."

No comments:

Post a Comment